A child’s mind is very unlike that of an adult. Probably why adults find it hard to believe that kids go through their own versions of mental issues. A large number of persons probably believe that a child’s mental health is always stable.
Children generally should be carefree. Sometimes, a stress-free happy life is associated with being a child. Unfortunately, this is not always so. The mind of a child can sometimes hold a lot more than we can imagine.
On mental health/child mental health.
Mental is important. The simple reason is that it plays an important role in one’s perception of life and how they relate to their environment.
Due to the increasing number of mental health issues arising daily, there is now a high emphasis placed on the importance of mental health. Its issues, its diseases and its solution.
Like every human being, children are influenced by the happenings in their environment. A child’s mental health is also influenced by these environmental factors.
Regardless of how little they are, children have well-formed minds. The depth of their perception is what makes them susceptible to what they are taught.
With their easily cultivated minds, children are also easily traumatized by events and words.
Why is this important?
The mental health of an individual is the seat of his interaction with his surroundings. This puts mental health on an important level. A child’s mental health plays an important role in the child’s development. It determines the social life and the balance they will strike between all the areas of their life. A child from a balanced home with a great mental health is most likely to be social and well-adjusted in life.
A child whose home does not provide a safe place for his mind to develop will have a bad mental health. Such a child stands a high chance of developing psychological issues.
To enable your child to have a good mental health,
- Feed them well, give your child good nutritious meals
- Play with your child. Do not get too busy.
- Be their friend. This makes it easy for them to open up and share with. This is quite important in cases of sexual abuse.
- Approach every bad situation with calmness and rationality, yelling will cause them to seize up and become passive in life.
- Encourage them, show them appreciation and praise them.
- Help them to develop self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Teach them to play with other kids.
- Give them unconditional love.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment for them.
- Give them guidance.
- Discipline them without violence or abuse.
- Do not use degrading or sarcastic words on them.
- Never compare them with others.
Keep in mind that a child’s mental health is a product of the environment you have created for the child.